Thursday, February 7, 2008

Madrid-Phillips-Avon-Strong

Ever since Susan Koob, Special Services Director in MSAD 58, and I scheduled the training for February 4, she warned me that if there was a snow day, we would just bump it to the next day. My first thought was, since I had given her the option of scheduling it anytime between October and the end of May, there must be a reason why I am heading to the mountains in February….

On the afternoon of the 3rd, I picked up my ‘state car’ a deep blue Neon, popped in my CD—Richard Russo “Sighing Bridge” and headed northwest. The sky opened up and the sun was shining making the snow in the treetops and mountains glisten. Belgrade is asleep at this time of year. Farmington continues to be a small college town, not appearing to have changed much in the 30 years since the last time I drove through.






Climbing, climbing into the mountains ...............






I knew I was getting near....!

I came to Madrid, pronounced Ma’ drid.
Madrid is a little dot on the map, en route from Farmington to Rangeley. As Route 4 winds through the mountains, following the river, several little towns and villages come and go. These include Strong, Phillips, Avon and Madrid. Each is barely marked by more that a town sign announcing where you are. Huge lumbering trucks rumble by on their way to the wood mills, the pickup truck is the mode of transportation, often passing so quickly it is hard to identify the model, and fairly new to the road are the Poland Spring trucks transporting water.



Madrid is an unorganized territory. Several years ago with only 176 residents and several children with extensive needs, the town could no longer afford to raise the money needed through taxes to run the town and pay for their children’s education. About 5 years ago they petitioned the state to become an unorganized territory. This means that the State of Maine now manages the town. There is no town hall, no selectmen, no local police, and no school. Students go to school in Phillips and are overseen by a superintendent and special education director housed in Augusta who are solely responsible for the Unorganized Territories of the State. Interestingly, Ginni reports that within a year of this happening, their road was paved for the first time! Voting takes place in Phillips with a special voting box set aside for Madrid residents.

A turn off the main road, over 2 one lane bridges and about 5 miles along a mountain ridge and I arrived at the Star Barn B&B. Ginni greeted me with warm oatmeal cookies and a full tour of the house, encouraging me to feel comfortable throughout.
We headed to her newly renovated barn where she teaches Yoga classes several times a week. Soon we were joined by 5 other people; and facing a large window, looking out over the fields, valleys and more mountains we traveled through 1 ½ hours of yoga transcending to wonderful quiet and stillness. Ginni trained in yoga when she came to Maine and is now teaching 7 classes each week in Farmington, Rangeley and here in the barn. A tour of the renovated barn, about 95% complete, revealed it being transformed into individual sleeping rooms, each with its own bath and woodstove, full dining and sitting rooms and of course yoga studio. Ginni is planning on this becoming the main b&b accommodations with 2 overflow rooms available in the main house. She has great ideas for the space being used by individuals, for retreats, and other small gatherings. Anyone up for a yoga/retreat weekend??

During a bowl of chili that she kindly invited me to join her she further explained the history of the property, which includes a family cemetery across the road, a family church just down the road a bit and a maple house that is used each spring to process the sap from the trees on the property.






As I retreated to my room for the evening, the view from my bedroom mesmerized me. Further conversation brought to light the pond seen from my room, that she and her husband created in what was a very damp area---probably a pond previously….and the moose and turkeys that visit on a regular basis which I haven’t seen yet.


















Tuesday morning arrived with a call that school was canceled and a look out the window divulged tiny snow flakes falling ever so thickly. I now knew there was a reason for bringing my reading, knitting and laptop! Breakfast was hot, black, strong coffee, fresh warm scones straight from the oven and fresh fruit. As I sat at the lace covered dining room table with lit candles in the chandelier, I thought this was ‘meant to be’ right from the start!




A day of reading, reflecting and watching the snow fall. The stillness and tranquility are hard to explain. Ginni and I chatted occasionally but for the most part enjoyed to solitude that a snowy day brings. Her generosity in offering lunch and dinner were welcomed. We laughed about how every traveler brings a new experience with circumstances that are never anticipated.

I took advantage of a break in the snow in the afternoon, cleared the car off in anticipation of tomorrow and headed down the road for a walk. At 3 in the afternoon the only tracks were those of the plow that had gone by once earlier in the day. Around the corner and down the hill, the family church came into view with the syrup house close by. I was overwhelmed by the beauty and serenity. It is truly a spectacular place.

David, Ginni’s husband, returned from work with pizza and salad for all of us. As head of the Northstar ambulance service that covers 2800 square miles, and both of them actively involved in local community activities, we had much to talk about regarding the state of the state, the challenges of a rural area, and the politics of the county. It is so refreshing to cross paths somewhat arbitrarily, with honest, good people.







Wednesday brought light snow, but not enough to cancel school. On my way back to Rte 4, I knew I was about to re-enter the other reality. Did my meeting with the Administrators at the Phillips Schooland then with the special education staff.
Here we are in the Avon Community Center, decorated with Valentine's goodies




It continues to amaze me how whereever I go, no matter what the challenges are, special educators professional and committed, wanting to do the best for the children they serve.

Can you tell I am having fun?
I love doing this work!
Heading out after an energizing day, I enjoyed the glistening trees and snow covered roads....looking forward to a family dinner at 555----Emma soon to head back to Scotland.


1 comment:

Emma said...

How exciting to get a mention on your blog! Already looking forward to coming home! xoxo