Friday, March 28, 2008

Another new adventure!

So, a couple of weeks ago, when I called the State Fleet to reserve a car for my trip to Calais, it suddenly occurred to me that perhaps I could request a certain car---why not expand this learning experience as well? When I requested a Prius the response was, "well, certainly, if we have one available" and lo and behold they did! As the last week of March was coming upon me, I must admit I have been looking forward to the driving experience as well as the trip.

Monday noon, I headed down to the fleet to get the car and prepare for the transfer of all my materials from one car to the other. As always, the staff at the Fleet office were cordial and helpful, gave me the keys and wished me a good trip. As I entered the parking lot matching up the license plate numbers with the tag I had been given, I realized that I had been given the usual black rectangular mechanism that controls locking/unlocking doors but nothing else.

Thank goodness, at my age, I am able to quickly admit that I need help and admitted to the attendant I was stumped. He laughed, shared that he too was stumped the first time he was given the key, and proceeded to give me a tutorial on driving the Prius. For anyone who hasn't yet had this opportunity, the black rectangular mechanism slides into a slot on the dashboard, one then pushes the start button. Similarly, to stop the car, one presses the parking button and the start button and all goes quiet. The drive and reverse controls are on a little toggle shift which again is found on the dash.

Again, another experience to add to this great year! After the first couple of starts/stops, the lingering concern initially about what I was going to do if I either couldn't get the car to start or stop(!) I had a great time!

Calais, here I come!

No comments: