Turning onto Main Street, it quickly appears that things haven't changed a lot since the last time I was in Calais 6 years ago....many empty storefronts and builidngs. Apparently the population has dropped by about 50% in the last couple of decades.....
Here is a view looking across the river to St. Stephen. The brick building is the home of Ganooch Chocolate, which of course, we visited. Unfortunately I forgot my camera when we went across the border so I don't have any pictures from the other side!
Eagles roost on the pilings.On the way to dinner, we caught a glance of this barn behind a farm house.....it was definitely worth a u-turn to get a picture! These are coyotes hanging in a line.....just like laundry on a clothesline!

What a great team! We worked hard and laughed hard! When we arrived at this restaurant on the Airline, there were gasps from the backseat---could this really be the place so highly recommended?? We couldn't resist capturing th Budweiser sign in the background!

Once inside the gasps quickly turned to ooohs and aaahs as we were presented with a gourmet menu and lovely atmosphere. The owner/chef was so welcoming, putting us in a private room where we could truly enjoy ourselves! A wonderful carrot soup with spicy ginger was followed by many different ymmy choices ranging from fish to lasagna and everything in between.

After 2 days in the Calais schools, the team headed for home and I stayed to meet with the Maine Indian Education. Their offices are located in the Maine Heritage Museum building which is housed in the totally refurbished railroad station, right along the river. The Visitors Center is also here, with beautiful views along the St. Croix River and wifi to boot---who could ask for anything more??


Leaving at the end of the day, I was promised a visit to the reservations if I return next year----if I can be so lucky!
1 comment:
Debbie--great photos (I can NOT believe those coyotes!)and fabulous details. Charm, humour and adventure--you seem to find all where ever you go!
Post a Comment